Austin City Limits is a staple of the capitol’s culture. From Sept. 30 to Oct. 2 and Oct. 7 through Oct. 9, ACL 2016 will take Austin by storm. So, are you prepared?
The lineup for ACL 2016 is extremely diverse. Here are some of the must-see artists, along with some smaller-name bands to be on the lookout for.
- Kendrick Lamar, the legend himself
- Willie Nelson, for the country music lovers
- Major Lazer, electronic music guru
- City and Colour, Canadian singer-songwriter who will melt your heart
- Melanie Martinez, for all The Voice fans out there
- Kacey Musgraves, country music’s sweetheart
- The Front Bottoms, indie rock group with lyrics to yell on a late drive home
- The Chainsmokers, chart-topping DJ duo
- DJ Mustard, “mustard on the beat”
- Slaves, American rock group led by vocalist Jonny Craig
- Mumford & Sons, folk rock band from London
- Jess Glynne, solo singer-songwriter featured in Clean Bandit’s single “Rather Be”
These are merely 12 artists from ACL’s entire lineup of more than 100 musical acts. Whether you’re into one genre or a little bit of everything, ACL offers a wide array of options to choose from.
Over the course of two weekends, festival-goers will frantically run from stage to stage to get the best seat in the house. It sounds a little chaotic, so here are some tips on how to survive the madness.
- Bring a backpack. Fill it with all the necessities: water bottles, phone charger, sunscreen, keys, etc. Festivals can get pretty rowdy, so you don’t want to lose any of your valuables.
- Dress for comfort. You’ll probably be on your feet all day, so wear comfortable shoes. Avoid wearing heavy clothing because you’ll be in humid Texas weather. Don’t forget the sunglasses, either.
- Have a game plan. Your group should go through the lineup to schedule must-see sets. Also, have a map of Zilker Park handy so you don’t miss your favorite band.
- Eat three times a day. When you’re jumping and dancing at LCD Soundsystem’s set, passing out isn’t the goal. Stock up on light, healthy meals. The food court has plenty of options, even for those with vegetarian or gluten-free preferences.
- Have fun. Festivals can be stressful, but remember to enjoy yourself. Put the phone down, appreciate the experience and dance the day away.
For a full, complete list of the lineup, visit the ACL website.