Home Sports Get to know: Roman Rodriguez, junior thrower

Get to know: Roman Rodriguez, junior thrower

2141
0

Lisette Lopez: What is your favorite candy?

Roman Rodriguez: Let’s go with the Kit Kat bars.

LL: What made you choose throwing?

RR: It is kind of a family thing. My three older brothers were also Division I throwers at their universities. My dad coached us all, so I was kind of raised to do summer track since I was four years old. So I have been throwing for, like, ever. High school came around, and I ended up being one of the highly recruited throwers in the nation, and then I got recruited by Texas State.

LL: Who are you closest to in your family?

RR: My mom. If I am struggling, it is easier to come to her and explain what’s going on. In front of my dad, I feel like I always have to be strong and stuff, and I have to cover it up. My mom is a shoulder to lean on. My dad would toughen me out, but my mom is more understanding.

LL: If you could be any superhero, who would you be?

RR: The Hulk—being strong and being able to jump miles like he does, it’s pretty awesome.

LL: What is your favorite animal? Do you own any animals?

RR: I like the Siberian tiger. I actually have a pit bull. His name is Ike.

LL: What do you hope to do after graduation?

RR: I am going to school to be a teacher/coach for secondary schools, most likely at the high school level. My initial plan is that I really want to pursue my music career as a hip-hop recording artist. That’s the idea.

LL: Do you have any goals for your last track and field season?

RR: I want to do my best to be a conference champion for myself but also leave the team as being the Outdoor Conference Champions. We already won the indoor, so we need to win the outdoor so we can sweep those two and have a perfect season. But I just want to make first-team all-conference again. If I take that step by step, then hopefully I can make it to nationals.

LL: Are you leaving any type of legacy before you leave?

RR: I think I am pretty much what you would call a captain of the men’s track and field team. I am the main guy that gets everybody hyped before the meets and gets everyone together and makes sure everyone is on the same page. Whenever I leave, that is going to be something missing. I have been doing this for three years, and we always say a specific chant before our meets so I get the guys fired up. I am kind of like a leader—I push everybody around me. I have the energy spark for the team. That’s the one thing that’s going to be missing when I am gone.

LL: What is your favorite movie?

RR: Seven Pounds, with Will Smith.

LL: What do you do on your off days?

RR: I make music—I have a studio and mic at my house. I like to write and also play instruments. Music is like my getaway. I come to music for peace whenever I am stressed out with track and school.

LL: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?

RR: I would say Spain—just because I know that’s where my ancestors are from. My great-great grandparents are from Spain. So I would like to see where my workings came from, and it seems interesting. I heard it’s nice over there.

LL: What is the craziest thing you have ever done?

RR: One time in high school, I had a music show, like, at 2 a.m. the night before a meet. Till this day, no one really knows about it. I left to catch the bus at 7 a.m., and I ended up doing really good in the meet. It was a long night and I got maybe one hour of sleep so I don’t know how I did it. But the next day I ended up breaking the district record in the discus throw. It was funny how it all happened, but that was one crazy day.

LL: Have you had anything embarrassing happen to you in your college career?

RR: It was freshman year. I was late to a class. I was running down the Alkek Library stairs, and I busted my butt and tumbled down. I didn’t even look to see if anybody was looking at me, but I am sure everybody saw me. I closed my eyes and prayed nobody was watching me because it was pretty embarrassing.

LL: If you had the choice between flying or super strength, what would you choose?

RR: Flying. When I first got on an airplane I kind of fell in love with being above the clouds, and it made me want to fly. I thought it was pretty cool being up there as close to outer space as possible.

LL: What is your favorite song to listen to right now?

RR: There is an artist called Trip Lee, and he has a song called “Sweet Victory.”

LL: What is your big dream?

RR: In a perfect world, I want to fly around the world as a famous musician or recording artist—to tour around the world building a huge fanbase.

LL: What is your favorite type of food?

RR: Hamburgers.