Home Lifestyle Fashion Pastel hair, don’t care

Pastel hair, don’t care

2332
0
Photo by: Kaylin King | Staff Photographer
Zachary Bond, mass communication sophomore, shows off what he calls his mermaid hair out in San Marcos.

Hair trends seem to change as fast as the weather does in Texas. Walking through the Quad, Bobcats may see fellow students with hair colors that aren’t exactly natural.

Hues of pink, blue and sometimes green can be seen atop Bobcats’ heads while one walks through campus. But achieving the the multi-color look takes careful decision-making. While going to a salon will make the hair dyeing process easier, it is not always an affordable option for everyone. Megan Miller, international studies sophomore with pink locks, said it’s important to keep the health of your hair in mind.

“First, do research. You need to know what the color will fade to and what exactly you’re about to put into your hair,” she said.

Miller said over-bleaching is the most common mistake people make when dyeing their own hair at home.

Photo by:  Kaylin King | Staff PhotographerZachary Bond, mass communication sophomore, shows off what he calls his mermaid hair out in San Marcos.

“You have to be careful with bleach. It can ruin your hair,” Miller said. “I set a timer. If you leave it in too long, it will start to feel itchy and hot.”

Hair dye gets a bad reputation for being damaging to hair. Lynn Tran, green-haired mathematics freshman, said you can keep hair both healthy and multicolored with a little TLC.

“My hair is dryer, because I bleached it because my hair is naturally black. But it’s all about aftercare,” Tran said. “You have to nourish it.”

Tran said maintaining hair health is all about adding moisturizing oils instead of washing it too often.

“You can leave some coconut oil in your hair as long as you can, and wash it out with soap,” Tran said. “Just keep it in for two hours, read a book or do some yoga and then wash it out.”

Tran said the most important thing to have when dyeing hair is patience.

“People want immediate satisfaction, and if they want purple hair, they want it now,” Tran said. “But you have to figure out how to do it in the least damaging way for your hair.”

Trying something new can be exciting and scary at the same time. Miller said dyeing her hair pink was worth it.

Photo by: Kaylin King | Staff PhotographerZachary Bond, mass communication sophomore, shows off what he calls his mermaid hair out in San Marcos.

“‘It’s just hair, it will grow back’ was always my philosophy,” Miller said. “I will keep my pink hair for as long as I can. I’m pretty sure once I’m retired, I will dye my hair again.”

Hair dye virgins, pick a color that is comfortable and do not forget to use protection, like a timer, when bleaching hair.