Home Sports Get to know: James Hilliard

Get to know: James Hilliard

2711
0

Lisette Lopez: Do you have any nicknames? If so, how did you get them?

James Hilliard: They call me JHill in track. (I got that name) my freshman year, my track coach called me that at Texas Relays and it stuck.

LL: What are your goals for your last track season at Texas State?

JH: My goal is, of course, to win conference and bring home another conference championship for the school. I hope to go back to nationals and hopefully break the school record.

LL: What is your major and minor? Did you come to Texas State knowing what you wanted to major in?

JH: I am an applied sociology major and a criminal justice minor. I did not—I changed my major about three times. I came in as a nursing major, then I changed it to physical therapy. Then I went to criminal justice, (and) then I became an applied sociology major.

LL: Why did you choose Texas State? Has it been your best decision?

JH: I loved the environment. I really loved the people here. I loved how the school was progressing and growing, and I wanted to be a part of it. It has been the best decision.

LL: What have been your best and worst moments here at Texas State?

JH: Best moment would be a split between winning conference and qualifying for nationals last year. Worst moment would have to be losing indoor conference last year by 13 points.

LL: What do you do in your spare time?

JH: I like to watch movies. Sometimes I get together with friends, play pool and just hang out.

LL: What is your favorite movie?

JH: My favorite movie would be The Avengers. It is my all-time favorite. I am a huge Marvel person.

LL: How do you prepare yourself before a race?

JH: That day, I listen to music and positive vibes. Then I get focused and visualize my race. Then I warm up and try to get out there and execute.

LL: Who is your favorite artist? Do you have a favorite song?

JH: My favorite artist is August Alsina. My favorite song would have to be “Benediction.”

LL: What would be your favorite sport? Favorite team?

JH: Favorite sport to watch would have to be football. Favorite team are the Cowboys—easy!

LL: Who is your favorite athlete?

JH: If I had to choose my favorite athlete, it would be Steph Curry.

LL: What do you hope to do after you graduate?

JH: Hopefully I start a career, (but) I don’t know exactly what. My time here has prepared me for whatever my journey is. But whatever I do, I hope to be successful.

LL: Do you have any animals? What is your favorite animal?

JH: I have a puppy named Koda. A tiger would be my favorite animal.

LL: What is your favorite food? Favorite fast-food place to go to?

JH: Applesauce—I love applesauce! I love Chipotle.

LL: When did you find your passion for running track?

JH: When I first started getting serious about track, it would have to be my sophomore year of high school. That is when I really dedicated myself to the sport.

LL: How do you balance school with being an athlete?

JH: It is just a lot of sacrifice. Track does take up a lot of time, but it is just finding a balance. Finding a balance between practice and studying.