Home Opinions Most important college course: Sex Ed 101

Most important college course: Sex Ed 101

5696
0

MikalaEverett_mugShrinkMany students head to college and say goodbye to their parents and hello to STDs.

In college, young people can experiment and discover what kinky things they are into. They can pick up STDs and chance upon unplanned pregnancies.

College is a time in humans’ lives where they can learn of the wonders and horrors of sex, so educating students nationwide on the importance of safe, consensual intercourse is extremely important.

Some students come to school with a bit of a sexual history and others do not. Sure, high school is where hormones and desires begin to bubble in students, but it should not be the only source of information and neither should parents.

A lot of high schools still teach abstinence-only sex education, if they teach sex ed at all. This can lead to higher counts of unprotected sex and dangerous sexual activities.

The high school I had the misfortune of attending did not have a sex ed class. We awkwardly looked at pictures of genitalia in health class and they told us to wait until we were married. It was very informative and loads of fun. I got so much out of that class.

Young people should not have to solely rely on their parents for better sex education either. Some parents do not talk to their children about sex because they find the situation uncomfortable and would rather not think about little Jenny performing the same activities that led to her arrival.

Other parents choose to enforce abstinence-only methods for various reasons. While abstinence is just fine and dandy, when a person decides they are ready to get down to it, said youngster will be working with very limited knowledge of what “getting down to it” actually entails.

Requiring students to take a sexual education class covering all the many aspects and factors of sex in college would be splendid. The course could cover STDs, unplanned pregnancies and what it means to have consensual sex.

As students at a university, we live in a culture and environment that, to an extent, encourages partying, drinking and “hooking up.” It is important each student understands the consequences—good and bad alike—that come with having sex.

If educators stress the possibility of deformed genitalia, or the fact that it is possible for a full-blown tiny human to emerge from a female body, then young students might rethink unprotected intercourse, or sex in general.

I know I do not want my insides ripped apart so I can deliver a small creature at this time in my life. I came to school to get an education and better my life, and that does not, at least for me, include having a child or obtaining an STD. I would hope many other students feel the same way.

At the end of the day, sex is a personal decision and it should not be up to the government or anyone to decide when and how people tango in the sheets. Armed with useful information about sex, students in the United States can make better choices.