Home Lifestyle Food New gourmet doughnut trailer arrives in town

New gourmet doughnut trailer arrives in town

4238
0
Photo by: Martha Fierro | Staff Photographer
Brandon Alarcon, owner of Donut 911, holding one of his donuts in front of the food trailer Aug. 21 in San Marcos.

After 20 years in the restaurant industry, one Kyle resident is looking to change up breakfast in San Marcos.

Brandon Alarcon, owner and operator of Donut 911, said he started the food truck, that now sits on N. Guadalupe Street, two months ago with a desire to reinvent the popular breakfast treat. Customers have the option to create their own type of doughnut, choosing their own toppings and fillings, Alarcon said.

Alarcon said most of the feedback he has received so far has been positive.

“Out of the hundreds and hundreds of people, I think there has only been two or three that don’t like them and it is because it’s just not the same kind of doughnut they are used to,” Alarcon said. “Many people expect to get a lighter, sugary doughnut and that’s not really what I’m going for.”

Carl Furry, San Marcos resident, said he was excited to see some activity in the lot after watching it sit dormant for almost two years.

“A lot of the trailers moved over to The Hitch and the rest went out of business, and then there was nothing here for a long time,” Furry said. “Then a couple new trailers started to pop up, and it’s perfect timing that he is there because school is in and people love doughnuts.”

Alarcon said he has always wanted to start a bakery of his own.

“I figured everybody loves doughnuts and I wanted to do what I could to make them a lot better than the average doughnut shop,” Alarcon said. “I figured no one else is doing anything like this except for Gourdough’s in Austin, so why not give it a shot?”

Most of the truck’s customers come looking for breakfast later in the morning or a quick dessert right after lunch, Alarcon said.

“I’m usually busy from about 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.,” Alarcon said. “I tried to open up early in the morning, but nobody was coming. So I decided to make the hours later since most students don’t get up until around 8 or 9 a.m.”

Alarcon said business was slow during the summer, but the amount of customers has slowly started to pick up as students return to campus.

“It has been kind of slow because there aren’t many students here during the summer, but I already have a lot of regular customers and followers online,” Alarcon said. “I would say we are currently serving anywhere from six to eight dozen doughnuts a day, and on days that I cater an event I would say we serve about 18 dozen.”

Alarcon said he expects the truck’s location will draw in a steady flow of students now that school is in session.

“We are only a couple blocks from campus, so I’m hoping to get all the freshmen walking to class and I plan to start opening late on Friday and Saturday nights to get the bar crowds as well,” Alarcon said.

Niko Valvez, Donut 911 employee, said working out of a smaller space has allowed the truck to get more creative with their offerings.

“I think having a food truck is really unique and allows us to do more specials and try new things out,” Valvez said. “People usually love the doughnuts and we don’t ever have many complaints.”

Alarcon said the truck serves a full breakfast.

“We do things like French toast and homemade pancakes, but everything else is pretty much done on the doughnut bun,” Alarcon said. “It seems like the favorite now is the bacon, egg and cheese and the sausage, egg and cheese.”

Alarcon said his first customers of the day are oftentimes first responders from the firehouse across the street.

“I’m usually there at about 4:30 a.m. and I usually have some stuff set up by 6 a.m., so I told the first responders that if they need something they can come knock on the door or window and I will take care of them,” Alarcon said. “All of them get half off as well.”

Alarcon said he hopes to explore other food trailer options after Donut 911 is established in the community.

“I don’t know if I would ever commit to a full restaurant because the price of rent is high in San Marcos, but if this food trailer really takes off I’ve got a couple ideas for some other trailers with different food—possibly even in different cities,” Alarcon said.

Follow Mariah Simank on Twitter at @MariahSimank.