Home Lifestyle Superfly’s celebrates album release

Superfly’s celebrates album release

3797
0

Students gathered at Superfly’s Lone Star Music Emporium on May 12 to leave behind the stress of final exams and enjoy a live performance.

Country folk singer Pake Rossi performed songs off his new album, Twisted in the Vine, to celebrate its official release.

Kallie Townsend, Superfly’s online sales associate, said the shop provides the perfect platform for artists to share their music with the San Marcos community.

Townsend said the large student population at Texas State makes performances like Rossi’s important in helping to promote the San Marcos music scene.

“San Marcos is a good town for music,” Townsend said. “There are not many music stores in San Marcos. Here we play all genres and it gives artists good exposure.”

Townsend, who has been working at Superfly’s for two years, said what makes Rossi’s style unique is the indie tone he brings to his songs.

Rossi, who was born and raised in Hebbronville, Texas, said he has been writing songs for about seven years.

“I was in a cover band with my dad, and I was about 16 years old when I learned how to play the guitar,” Rossi said. “I started writing songs when I moved out of my house, when I was around 19 or 20 years old.”

Rossi previously lived in San Marcos for four years. During this time, he performed at Cheatham Street Warehouse and found the inspiration to write many of his songs before moving to Corpus Christi.

“I love this town,” Rossi said. “I’ve always had good experiences here. I learned how to become a better songwriter and present myself as an artist. “

Rossi said Twisted in the Vine has the distinctive country-based folk style he is known for fused with more intimate lyrics.

“A lot of the songs on this record are more personal than my other albums,” Rossi said. “These are very meaningful to me.”

Rossi said he was inspired to write songs for the album based on his environment.

“I was seeing a lot of things in my surroundings,” Rossi said. “David Beck, who also produced my second album, helped me with some songs. There were a bunch of spontaneous things going on.”

Rossi said his musical influences include Todd Snider, Townes Van Zandt, Rodney Crowell and John Prine.

Rossi said he was excited to show people the album and hear feedback from the audience.

“All the songs turned out exactly how I have pictured them in my head,” Rossi said.

Andrew Gasparis, San Marcos resident, said he was not familiar with Rossi’s music before the concert, but walked away with deep appreciation for the artist.

“It was my first time hearing his music,” Gasparis said. “The jams are great, I really liked it.”

Gasparis said Rossi’s ability to tell real stories with his songs separates him from many artists.

“Rossi’s music is unique, all of it,” Gasparis said. “The stories he sings are real.”

Rossi said much of the inspiration for this new album came from losing a friend.

“I was inspired by my friend Kent Finlay who passed away a couple of months ago,” Rossi said.  “He really helped me grow as a songwriter.”

Rossi said he is currently working on assembling songs he has performed with other artists into a new album.

“It is something I have been working on for a while, and plan on doing in the future,” Rossi said.