Students eating in Commons Dining Hall were evacuated after construction equipment struck a gas main near Wood Street at Edward Gary Street Wednesday afternoon.
Construction workers struck a gas main on the Performing Arts Center construction at approximately 1:30 p.m., said Mark Hendricks, director of University News Service. Students received an emergency notice about the gas leak at 1:57 p.m.
Because of wind direction and the smell of gas in the area, construction workers and University Police Department officers evacuated students dining in Commons at 1:46 p.m. Hendricks said the dining hall remained evacuated for about 20 minutes.
Michael Odiari, biology junior, said he was waiting for his food to be prepared when students and staff were asked to evacuate the building.
“I was irritated because I was really starving,” Odiari said. “I lost my swipe.”
Hendricks said CenterPoint Energy put a sleeve on the ruptured pipe at about 2:45 p.m., and activity resumed normally in the area.