Online voting for the third annual International Documentary Film Festival has begun.
Puntos de Vista is a film festival hosted by the Center for the Study of Latino Media and Markets at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
The festival recognizes the inspiration and originality of documentaries written and produced by Hispanic students from eight different universities across the globe.
Communication and film students will be commuting from their universities in Colombia, Chile, Mexico, Peru, Spain and various parts of the United States for the competition.
The 15 to 20-minute documentaries being shown address several issues. The films illustrate the violence on the border, disparities in the distribution of wealth, drug trafficking, social or cultural diversity and situations involving accomplishments of people with disabilities.
Sindy Chapa, associate professor for the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, said the film arrangement has a clear goal. The festival strives to promote cultural and academic ties among students with interests in significant social issues within their own countries.
Chapa, who serves as the organizing committee president and associate director of The Center for Latino Media and Markets, said she hopes the event will increase awareness and education.
“This event provides an opportunity for students to gain understanding of the uniqueness among Latino cultures,” she said.
The 14 independent feature titles on display will be “Living Paintings,” “Why is Momma Just a Crying?,” “Vital Voice,” “Patricios: Story of a Border,” “Tierradorada,” “Trip to the Red Planet,” “Music from Within: It’s Music that Carries On,” “It’s Tzotzil Rock,” “The Chilean Wall,” “Muchacha,” “Mexican Fried Chicken,” “Morquio Steps,” “Red Chronicle,” “Rising from the Swamp and Arequipa” and “Communicating the Truth.”
The documentaries will be divided into five different sessions: Voces, Reveladores, Indicadores, Narradores and Testimonios.
The top three films will be decided in part (40 percent) by an online, people’s choice voting, while the remaining 60 percent is to be determined by a panel of judges.
Two thousand dollar, $1,000 and $500 prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place winners.
Olga Wilson, lecturer and public relations director for The Center for the Study of Latino Media and Markets, said the film’s focus is on life issues and how the students see themselves as producers.
“It’s a great opportunity for filmmakers to express themselves and for the community to share their expression through this art,” she said.
More than 200 votes have already been cast on El Centro’s webpage since the ballot opened, and this will continue until April 23.
“Our goal is to provide audiences with an inside look of the Latino culture through film,” said Joe Vasquez, assistant manager for El Centro and mass communications graduate student.