Texas Parks and Wildlife employee dies by carbon monoxide poisoning

Senior News Reporter

A Texas Parks and Wildlife employee was the victim of a fatal industrial accident earlier this afternoon at the A.E. Wood State Fish Hatchery in San Marcos.

According to a city press release, the San Marcos Fire and Police Department responded Tuesday to a report of an unconscious man around 3:50 p.m.  Melissa Millecam, Director of Communications, said it was the man’s co-workers who called in.

Police said the Texas Parks and Wildlife employee, whose name has not been released, was operating a gasoline powered pump in a chamber 20-30 feet below ground, and may have been “overcome” by carbon monoxide.

Firefighters have recovered the body. The investigation is ongoing.

The man’s identity and other updates could be released tomorrow, Millecam said.