New student body president, vice president elected

News Editor

Photo by: 

Megan Trexler and Cody DeSalvo hug Tiffany Young, ASG president-elect, after the election results were announced.

The 2014 Associated Student Government elections came to a close Wednesday when Tiffany Young and Sean Quiñones were named next year’s student body president and vice president, respectively.

Young received 51 percent of the votes with 477. She needed to receive 50 percent plus one vote to avoid a runoff election. Young received more than twice as many votes as the second-place candidate, Quentin De La Garza, who received 205. John Willms followed with 201 votes, and Abdual Muhialdin finished with 35.

A total of 1,019 students voted in this year’s ASG elections,  which is 2.9 percent of the student population. Approximately 3.3 percent of student voted in last year’s uncontested race that ended in a victory for current ASG president and vice president Vanessa Cortez and Ed die Perez.

The revised ASG constitution was passed through student referendum. The new constitution will change the name of the organization to “Student Government” and reduce the size of the senate from 60 to 45 seats, among other changes. The student referendum passed with 383 votes.

Young said she is not waiting to begin planning for her administration, and she wants to “hit the ground running.”

“I talked to my campaign and they said ‘What do you want to do first, do you want to wait until Sunday to have a meeting?’” Young said. “I said ‘No, I want to do it Thursday.’ There’s no time to rest. The academic school year is still going on.”
Quiñones earned 90 percent of the votes cast in the vice presidential race with 735. Quiñones was officially unopposed after his opponent Christian Carlson was deemed ineligible for the position.  Write-in candidates garnered the other 10 percent of the vote.

“I was absolutely thrilled (when they called my name),” Quiñones said. “I am just overwhelmingly excited. I mean, to be given this opportunity is amazing.”

Young said she is excited to work with Quiñones and discuss parts of their platforms that do not overlap. Candidates were not allowed to run on tickets this year and campaigned individually.

“He’s definitely going to bring a great aspect to the organization,” Young said. “He had a lot of platform ideas, and we didn’t necessarily overlap. We’re going to be able to reach a lot of students that way.”

Cortez said both Young and Quinones will be “great” for the student government, which is evidenced by their contributions as current ASG senators. Cortez said she was happy with the passage of the new constitution, which was authored by Young.

 “It was two years in the making, and there was a lot of hard work and dedication put into it so, we’re glad that transcended to the students and they were able to pass it,” Cortez said.

She said that both Young and Quiñones worked on committees and with task forces to form the new constitution, so they will be able to implement the changes it will bring.