Update: Details of Fort Hood shooting victims emerge

By: 

Photo by: 

2:20 p.m. update:

 Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire on fellow soldiers at Fort Hood Wednesday, killing three and injuring 16.

Army officials have only identified Lopez, but through media reports quoting relatives and friends, details about the deceased and wounded have come to light, the Austin American-Statesman reports.

Deceased

Sgt. First Class Danny Ferguson, 39, of Mulberry, Fla.

Carlos Lazaney, 38, of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Sgt. Timothy Owens, 37, of Illinois.

Wounded

Maj. Patrick Miller, a 32-year-old Iraq War veteran from western New York.

Sgt. Jonathan Westbrook, 32, from Mississippi, whose wife told the Associated Press that he had been shot three times in the chest and arm.

Latanya Johnson, 27, from Georgia, a single mother of two who is being treated for a gunshot wound at Darnall Army Medical Center on Fort Hood.

 

Thursday:

Updates on the official Scott & White Healthcare Twitter account state that five patients continue to receive care at Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple. Three patients previously in critical condition have been upgraded to serious condition, and two more patients remain in the hospital in good condition and could potentially be discharged today. Four patients have already been discharged from the hospital.

4:30 p.m. update:

While the motive for the shooting is still unclear, 34-year-old Spec. Ivan Lopez of Puerto Rico was officially confirmed as the gunman who opened fire at Fort Hood Wednesday.

Lt. Gen. Mark Milley addressed the press for the second time in front of Bernie Beck Gate Thursday afternoon, this time joined by Sen. John Cornyn. Milley said investigators are trying to determine if Lopez had a "verbal altercation" with one or more soldiers before Wednesday's shooting. The first 911 call was made at 4:16 p.m. yesterday by two wounded soldiers. There is no indication that Lopez targeted specific people during the shooting.

The Army will continue as the lead investigating agency, he said.

“At this point we have not yet ruled out anything whatsoever,” Milley said, adding there are still no indications that Lopez was linked to terrorist organizations.

Milley  confirmed that Lopez purchased the gun used during the shooting March 1 at Guns Galore in Killeen, the same store where Maj. Nidal Hasan bought weapons used in the 2009 Fort Hood attack.

Lopez had not registered the weapon per the base's protocol.

Milley said the exact sequence of events has not yet been determined, but a female military police arrived at the scene at 4:20 p.m. He would not release her name, but said Lopez  approached her at about 20 feet. She then saw Lopez pull a handgun fired her weapon at the specialist, Milley said.

Lopez then shot himself, Milley said. The military police was not wounded, and Milley said he did not know if she  hit Lopez with any of the shots she fired. It is not known if Lopez suffered wounds other than the self-inflicted gunshot. A full autopsy report is underway.

Lopez's mental health has become a major focus of the investigation. He was ""undergoing a variety of treatments and diagnoses of mental health issues ranging from depression to anxiety to sleep disturbance," Army Secretary John McHugh said today.

Milley said there is "very strong evidence" that Lopez had a medical history that suggested an unstable mental condition. Lopez was receiving treatment, Milley said, but a thorough investigation will be conducted to make sure he did not slip through any gaps in that system. Lopez's finances, health and relationships will be investigated.

Mental health issues are "the most vexing," Cornyn said. He added that it is important not to stigmatize healthy people with mental health issues just because they have been in combat.

 

11:09 a.m. update:

Officials from the Scott & White Memorial Hospital in Temple said during a 10:30 a.m. press conference  they do not expect any fatalities at this point of the nine patients being treated.

Some of the patients injured in yesterday's shooting at Fort Hood may be released today, and three are still in critical condition, officials said. The hospital is treating eight females and one male, and their ages range from 21 up to the mid 40s.

Patients who suffered superficial wounds and injuries from shrapnel will be released today. Those in critical condition have injuries to the neck and abdomin, and one patient suffered a spinal wound from a gunshot.

Hospital officials say some of the patients have relayed mild anecdotal stories of the shooting, but doctors are not at liberty to divluge those at this time.

 

Wednesday:

Officials say the gunman who opened fire Wednesday at Fort Hood killed three fellow soldiers and injured 16 more before turning the gun on himself.

Multiple sources in law enforcement and government are reporting Spc. Ivan Lopez as the gunman, but Fort Hood officials had not yet confirmed this at press time. Lt. Gen. Mark A. Milley told reporters at a 9:30 p.m. press conference that the shooter, who was married with a child, served in Iraq for four months in 2011. The gunman was being assessed for possible post-traumatic stress disorder and was receiving treatment for depression and anxiety. Milley said the soldier had also reported receiving a traumatic brain injury.

Milley said there is no indication the incident was related to terrorism, but officials are not ruling any options out. Investigations at the federal, state and local levels are underway to determine the motive behind the shooting, the exact events that took place during the incident and the criminal and psychiatric history of the shooter.

All of those who were killed or injured during the incident were military personnel.

Law enforcement reached the scene in 10 to 15 minutes after gunfire began and acted rapidly and swiftly, Milley says.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to each of those injured and the killed and their families,” Milley said. “Our focus is to focus on families of the injured and the families of those killed and ensuring they have the best care.”

Milley said the shooter used a recently purchased .45 caliber semi-automatic Smith & Wesson pistol containing an unknown amount of ammunition that was not registered on base at Fort Hood. The shooter is believed to have entered into the headquarters building of the medical brigade and then the transportation battalion building, where he opened fire before a female military officer engaged him. She drew her weapon after she approached the shooter before he shot himself on site, Milley said.

The shooter’s body was found in the parking lot where he was engaged by the female officer. Some of the 16 individuals injured in the shooting are being treated at Scott & White Hospital in Temple for gunshot wounds and injuries from glass and attempts to flee the scene.

Fort Hood is the site of a mass shooting in 2009 carried about by former Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan, who killed 13 people and injured more than 30 others. Hasan was given the death penalty in August. Milley said response from law enforcement and medical personnel in Wednesday’s incident displayed lessons learned from the previous shooting.

“We know the community is strong, and we know the community is resilient,” Milley said. “We will get through this. Thanks to all who have supported us.”

Another press conference will be held Thursday afternoon at Fort Hood.