Multiple sexual assault victims take stand against former Texas State football player

News Reporter
Jonathan Porterie

Victims and witnesses to an alleged sexual assault by a former Texas State football player took the stand Tuesday during the second day of the trial.

Jonathan Porterie, 24, is accused of breaking into four bedrooms in 2012 and allegedly sexually assaulting one woman. Porterie is being charged with three counts of burglary of a habitation with the intent to commit a sex offense and one count of burglary of a habitation with improper photography. If convicted, Porterie could face five years to life in prison.

The first incident occurred Aug. 15, 2012, when Porterie allegedly broke into a young woman’s duplex on Earle Street and took pictures of her while she was sleeping in the nude. According to the woman’s testimony, she was unaware of the break-in until police found the photograph on Porterie’s cell phone when he was arrested on a sexual assault charge in November 2012.

“It’s wrong,” she said. “I feel really gross, and I hope that no one sees that (photo).”

The second break-in occurred in early Sept. 1, 2012 at the University Club Apartments, where Porterie was living at the time. The second woman said she woke up during the night and saw Porterie touching her leg.  

The woman knew Porterie, who had been staying with her roommate that night, and hesitated to report the incident to police. Once other women came forward, and upon talking to her father, she decided to share her story with police.

The third break-in was reported at the same complex less than a week later, when a third woman reported waking up in the middle of the night to find Porterie watching her from the foot of her bed. She reached for her phone, and Porterie ran off. The woman said she immediately reported the incident to police. According to the Austin American Statesman, she was able to identify Porterie to the police, who arrested him on burglary charges. He was released on bail.

Porterie was uncooperative during the arrest and had to be restrained, according to authorities. Porterie was later released on bail and evicted from University Club Apartments.

The last of the young women Porterie allegedly sexually assaulted took the stand late Tuesday afternoon after being heard crying from the hallway. The woman recalled returning home from a night in Austin in the early hours of Nov. 4, 2012 with her roommate.

The woman and her roommate both testified to seeing Porterie, who they knew through a mutual friend, in the University Club Apartments parking lot. The roommate said they knew Porterie was not allowed on the property after being evicted.
“He used to live here, but he got kicked out for breaking into girls’ apartments,” the woman said in her 911 call that was played in court.

According to the roommate’s testimony, her friend went to bed that night by herself and did not invite Porterie or anyone else to stay with her.

The woman said she remembered very little from that night, including returning to San Marcos. She said she passed out from drinking and woke up to Porterie on top of her.

“I kept telling him he was hurting me,” she said. “Jonathan sexually assaulted me.”

The woman was awoken by her roommate’s friend the next morning.

“She asked my why I was naked—I never sleep naked,” the woman said. “And then it just all kind of hit me.”

The woman reported a sexual assault to police that morning.

Defense attorneys said Porterie is a part of a large circle of friends, many of whom lived in the University Club Apartments would drink together.

“What this case is really about is a bunch of college kids sowing their wild oats and things getting out of hand,” said defense attorney Gina Jones.

The trial will continue March 20, and Porterie is expected to testify.

Recent Comments