Crime

Investigation into death of local woman underway

San Marcos police are investigating a “suspicious” incident that left one woman dead and sent a man who lived with her to the hospital early Friday morning.

Police have identified the 23-year-old woman who died Friday as Misty Amber Davis.

Police received a call from the 25-year-old man around 1:01 a.m. Friday saying he had been shot in his home on the 1300 block of Barbara Drive, according to a press release from the city. Police and EMS arrived on the scene and found Davis unconscious. She was later pronounced dead at the residence.

The man was treated at Brackenridge Hospital before being discharged the same day, the release said.

Police are not releasing further information until an autopsy is completed, according to the release.

Police investigating 'suspicious' death of San Marcos woman

4:47 p.m. update:

San Marcos police have identified the 23-year-old woman who died earlier today as Misty Amber Davis.

Police are investigating a “suspicious” incident that Davis dead and sent the man who lived with her to the hospital early Friday morning.

Police received a call from the 25-year-old man around 1:01 a.m. Friday morning saying he had been shot in his home on the 1300 block of Barbara Drive, according to a release from the city. Police and EMS arrived on the scene and found the 23-year-old woman unconscious. She was later pronounced dead at the residence.

The man was transported to Brackenridge Hospital and was treated before being discharged the same day, the release said.

Veterans react to Fort Hood shooting that left three soldiers dead, 16 injured

James Rominger has been deployed to Germany, Japan, Korea and Vietnam and served in the Army for more than 30 years. He says soldiers are prepared for the worst when serving overseas, but they do not expect to be attacked at home.

“It’s incomprehensible that things like this could happen at a place that you feel like should be the safest place in the world,” said Rominger, a former senior command sergeant major.

Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire April 2 at Fort Hood, killing three fellow soldiers and injuring 16 more before turning the gun on himself. Fort Hood, approximately 98 miles from San Marcos, is the site of a mass shooting in 2009 carried about by former Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan, who killed 13 people and injured more than 30 others.

Weekend shooting suspect arrested in San Antonio

A San Antonio man was arrested Sunday for shooting and wounding another man in downtown San Marcos and attempting to run over a police officer while fleeing the scene Saturday night.

Martin Avila III was booked into the Bexar County Jail on charges of attempted murder and attempted capital murder, according to a press release from the City of San Marcos. 


Warrants obtained by San Marcos Police Department detectives were served when Avila was arrested by the San Antonio Police Department at his home Sunday. Avila’s bond has been set at $500,000, and he will be transferred to the Hays County Law Enforcement Center later this week.

Veterans react to Fort Hood shooting

James Rominger has been deployed to Germany, Japan, Korea and Vietnam, and served in the Army for more than 30 years. He says soldiers are prepared for the worst when serving overseas, but they do not expect to be attacked at home.

“It’s incomprehensible that things like this could happen at a place that you feel like should be the safest place in the world,” Rominger, a former senior command sergeant major, said.

Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire April 2 at Fort Hood, killing three fellow soldiers and injuring 16 more before turning the gun on himself. Fort Hood is also the site of a mass shooting in 2009 carried about by former Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan, who killed 13 people and injured more than 30 others.  

Updated: San Antonio man arrested for weekend shooting in downtown San Marcos

2:45 p.m. update:

Update: Details of Fort Hood shooting victims emerge

By: 

2:20 p.m. update:

 Spc. Ivan Lopez opened fire on fellow soldiers at Fort Hood Wednesday, killing three and injuring 16.

Army officials have only identified Lopez, but through media reports quoting relatives and friends, details about the deceased and wounded have come to light, the Austin American-Statesman reports.

Deceased

Sgt. First Class Danny Ferguson, 39, of Mulberry, Fla.

Carlos Lazaney, 38, of Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

Sgt. Timothy Owens, 37, of Illinois.

Wounded

Maj. Patrick Miller, a 32-year-old Iraq War veteran from western New York.

Fire at Bar One 41 causes road closures

A fire broke out Tuesday evening at Bar One 41, located above Harper’s Public House at the corner of Hopkins Street and LBJ Drive on The Square.

San Marcos firefighters “quickly doused” the rooftop fire that resulted in minor damage to the bar, according to a press release from the city.

The fire was reported at 5:21 p.m. and was “quickly extinguished” by firefighters, according to the press release. Officials are still working to determine the cause of the fire.

Traffic in the area was detoured around The Square, and Hopkins Street was closed between Guadalupe and Edward Gary Streets, according to the city. Two lanes of LBJ Drive were also closed near the courthouse.

Former student sentenced to 20 years for burglary, sexual assault

A Hays County jury sentenced Jonathan Porterie, a 24-year-old former Texas State student, to 20 years in prison Tuesday.

Porterie was found guilty on three counts of burglary with attempted sexual assault and one charge of improper photography, the Austin American-Statesman reports. The former student was on trial for breaking and entering into the bedrooms of four female Texas State students in 2012 and sexually assaulting one of the women, according to a March 20 University Star article.

Porterie will be eligible for parole in 10 years, according to the Statesman. Jurors said he could also pay up to $35,000 in fines, according to the same Statesman article.

Former student convicted of burglary, sexual assault

Jonathan Porterie

A Hays County jury convicted former Texas State student Jonathan Porterie March 21 on charges of burglary and sexual assault.  

Porterie, 24, was on trial for breaking and entering the bedrooms of four female Texas State students in 2012 and allegedly sexually assaulting one of the women, according to a March 20 University Star article. Porterie was convicted last Friday on three charges of burglary of habitation with the intent to commit a sex offense, according to a March 21 Austin American-Statesman article.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Crime