Nobody was injured when a fire broke at a local pet shop and feed store on LBJ Street Sunday.
Melissa Millecam, communication director for the City of San Marcos, said she did not know the condition of pets housed in the shop.
As of press time, the fire marshall has not had ample time to examine the cause of the fire. Millecam said there were propane tanks in the building but they did not explode in the fire. Most of the materials inside the building were animal feed and bags of fertilizer. She said HAZMAT teams are monitoring the runoff to ensure there was no contamination of the creek or San Marcos river.
Millecam said the fire started in the back of the building, the side closest to Guadalupe. She said it then spread across the building, doing extensive damage to the roof. She said Firefighters had been fighting the flames since 2 p.m.
All on-duty and off-duty firefighters were called to the scene and were assisted by South by South Hays Fire Department and the New Braunfels Fire Department.
Millecam said the building was built approximately in the 1920s.