Texas State Athletics and Head Football Coach Jake Spavital announced that 14 players have signed national letters of intent to play for the Bobcats in 2019.
Spavital and his staff were able to sign 10 players during the early signing period and added four more this morning on national signing day. Currently, the Bobcats have 83 players on scholarship. Spavital said the team will have 83 players on scholarship and that the team currently has room for a few more scholarship players.
“I always like to have a few spots available just in case,” Spavital said.
Evaluations from Spavital and his coaching staff for the remaining scholarship spots will come after the Spring game April 13. to round out the depth chart.
Nine of the 14 commits, were recruited by Spavital and company the other five were previously recruited by the former head coach Everett Withers’ staff. The low-class number was also due in part from the two-month long window of time that Spavital and his staff had to recruit players prior to national signing day. Spavital said Issues in depth by position was something he and his staff planned to address with this class of commits.
“This is my team, this is the team I inherited,” Spavital said. “There are some trust issues, but it’s up to us to get those players bought into the system. When some of these guys are going on their fourth defensive coordinator in their career here, that’s tough, so they’re naturally going to have those trust issues, but it’s up to us to build that relationship, and I see the buy-in right now.”
The following is the list of signed players for the 2019 season:
- Gresch Jensen- Fullerton Community College (Auburn, Washington)
- Eddie Rivas- Glendale Community College (Phoenix, Arizona)
- Kevin Anderson- Lewisville High School (Lewisville, Texas)
- Cedric Case- Lincoln High School (Lincoln Nebraska)
- Dalton Cooper- Prague High School (Prague, Oklahoma)
- Ronald Copney- Smithson Valley High School (New Braunfels, Texas)
- Kenny Fraizer- Opelousas High School (Opelousas, Louisiana)
- Devin Henderson- LaPorte High School (LaPorte, Texas)
- Calvin Hill- Ross Sterling High School (Baytown, Texas)
- Micah Hilts- Vista Ridge High School (Colorado Springs, Colorado)
- Dylan Jantz- Gunter High School (Gunter, Texas)
- Devin Martinez- Belton High School (Belton, Texas)
- DeJordan Mask- Arkansas High School (Texarkana, Arkansas)
- Jordan Revels- North Shore High school (Houston, Texas)
Additionally, the Bobcats are hosting walk-on tryouts beginning Feb. 14 starting at nine a.m. Turn in all materials in the walk-on tryout packet together via E-Mail to ZRL3@txstate.edu or deliver to the second floor of the End Zone Complex at Bobcat Stadium.
Sports Reporter Jacob Sommers contributed to this article.