Home Ask The Experts How Businesses Band Together

How Businesses Band Together

438
0

How Businesses Band Together

I want to go into business someday. Ideally, I’d like to start my own business. I’ve always been a bit of a loner, so the idea of working alone to start something really appeals to me. And even if my company were to take off, at least I’d be at the top of it!

But when I share my ideas with my parents, they don’t agree with my vision of my future. They seem to think that I will need to get a lot more social if I’m going to do this–that I’ll need to network and interact with other businesspeople, and that my business will need to make deals with other businesses, team up with them, and so on. How important is this social and communications aspect of business?

It’s very, very important. While you may not like the idea of networking and deal-making, those are huge parts of being a business leader. No matter how good your idea is, you’ll need to develop some communications skills and relationships if you’re going to make it big!

There are a few reasons for this. They begin with getting your company off of the ground in the first place. How many employees and how much funding you’ll need to get started will depend on the kind of business you start, and it sounds as if you have a vision for a very small operation. But as things “take off,” as you put it, you’ll quickly find yourself in need of some help. You’ll want to hire top talent, especially as you get started (if a company only has a handful of employees, they had better all be superstars!), and you’ll need the money to pay for them, as well as for the many other things you’ll need (outsourced tasks, for instance, and supplies). This is part of why networking matters!

If you choose to study business in school, you may have developed some key contacts who will help you at this point. But studying business is also about art of learning how to develop such contacts in the future, say educators who supervise an online international business degree program. Great entrepreneurs need to know how to identify talent, bring great people into the fold, and raise money.

And once you’re off and running, your business will want to band together, advise administrators at Lansing, Michigan’s Michigan Chamber of Commerce. Businesses stick together for all sorts of reasons, from continued networking to government lobbying. If you try to keep your company separate from the rest of the business world, you’re going to find that it’s tough to make money in isolation.

But never fear: you don’t need to be the most social person in the world right now. You have plenty of time to learn more about networking, and you have years of schooling and work experience ahead of you that you will be able to draw upon when the time comes. So take your parents’ advice to heart and work on honing your communications and social skills in the years ahead. Your future is bright.

“Think big and don’t listen to people who tell you it can’t be done. Life’s too short to think small.” — Tim Ferriss

Provided in cooperation with Scholarship Media