Home Latest ‘Popstar’ Review: A hilarious look on celebrity culture

‘Popstar’ Review: A hilarious look on celebrity culture

2141
0
File photo.

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping helped remind audiences of how ridiculous celebrity status can be.

The film focuses on the launch of Conner 4 Real’s (Andy Samberg) second album. The plot highlights Conner’s rise to fame from being a member of Style Boyz with his two best friends Owen (Jorma Taccone) and Lawrence (Akiva Schaffer) to being a solo artist.

In essence, Conner is a Justin Bieber and Justin Timberlake mash-up.

Popstar may not be the best mockumentary, but it has brought the genre back—one I hope to see stay alive this time around. The genre helps cement the caricature and insanity revolving pop stars and pop music.

The film is filled to the brim with celebrity cameos of famous actors and musicians as they recount Conner 4 Real rise to fame.

Throughout the movie, I was amazed by the amount of legendary musicians, such as Seal, that agreed to appear in the film. Despite the film being dense with cameos, none of them were disappointing.

I wish I could tell you all the cameos in this movie, but it would be a spoiler to so many wonderful surprises. The cameos in “Popstar” make the experience feel real.

While “Popstar” is a parody, it still provided a reflection of modern pop culture. Conner 4 Real uses social media in the movie. While it is used to an extreme extent, it is not hard to picture some real stars who are always promoting themselves through their own social media.

In fact, Samberg was able to show how Conner is more of a mass-marketed brand than a musician. The marketing campaign for the film itself had Samberg appear on talk shows and interviews in character.

We live in a day and age where we feel closer to our favorite stars than ever before, thanks to technology and social media. However, it can be easy to forget that most of what these celebrities show us online are just what they want us to see.

The reality is celebrities live lives we will never be a part of, no matter how many times we buy their albums or watch their Snapchat stories.

Popstar does an excellent job of reminding the audience that the stars we see in movies, television and radio are different in real life.

Comedy is one of the best ways to bring these commentaries of our culture to life, as they entertain us while informing us of the structure of our society.

To me, one of the best parts of Popstar was seeing how involved Samberg was in portraying Conner 4 Real. You can tell this is a character Samberg had spent time developing. At times, I felt like Conner 4 Real could be a real artist on the charts just from the behavior and mannerism Samberg showcased.

I found the music to be enjoyable and hilarious. The jokes felt well thought out, and most of the songs were incredibly catchy. I have a few still playing in my head.

While Popstar did feel like The Lonely Island skits on Saturday Night Live, it didn’t feel overplayed or dragged out. With a running time of only 86 minutes, this movie knew not to overstay its welcome.

As one of the best comedies I have seen in a long time, I cannot recommend Popstar enough. By the time the movie ended, I could not stop smiling because of how enjoyable it was. I’m still laughing just thinking about Conner 4 Real.