Home News Letter from the Editor

Letter from the Editor

2603
0

The people who work for The University Star are arguably the most hardworking students on campus.

Students here, in the tiny Trinity Building nestled on what feels like a hidden part of campus, often find themselves working on perfecting articles, photos, illustrations and page design sometimes until 1 in the morning. Nowadays, with 24/7 news disseminated through various social media networks, being a student journalist can sometimes be a thankless job. So, I’m taking a moment to thank the staff at the newspaper that has served Texas State and San Marcos for over 100 years.

This academic year, we diligently covered the Memorial Day weekend flood that killed 12 people, the Halloween flood that left Texas State students displaced and the complicated Student Government election filled with Supreme Court hearings, among other things. Whether we were hosting city council debates, updating breaking news swiftly or letting you know what was happening in the world of Texas State athletics, The University Star was there this year—a year where the newspaper has undergone the most changes in its history.

In August, we cut back our printing days from three to two. This allowed for our digital content to be updated daily and our print product to host longer features and larger photos. It was a big adjustment, but we did it and we did it well.

In October, we debuted a new website. The updated site continues to be faster with news updates as they happen in real time and serves as a space for our readers to click through photo galleries, listen to podcasts and, of course, read our articles.

As The University Star finishes the semester, one more change is on its way: a new building. The University Star newsroom is located in the Trinity Building, just down the hill from Old Main. By August, the building will host not one, but two campus media publications as the campus radio station KTSW 89.9 will be moving in. The building will be updated and streamlined to match the needs of a modern-day news publication. While the newspaper and radio station are not becoming one organization, the move will allow for better coverage from both entities because a combined newsroom can only prove beneficial.

Finally, I feel sure in saying that The University Star proved itself as San Marcos’ newspaper. Although the Star is run by students, our coverage of the areas outside of the university has proven we are much bigger than ourselves.

I feel nothing but grateful to have been part of such a monumental year for The University Star. I’m still not sure how I ended up with the editor gig, but I’m glad I did. There really is nothing like The University Star—this place is special, for the people that work here and for those who read us. This place has been my home for the past three years and I’m not quite sure who I am without it.

I don’t know what this place will look like in 10 years, but I can’t help but feel excited for what the future will hold.

I love you, University Star.

Star Team, Go!
-30-