Home Lifestyle Fashion Vegan-friendly beauty products don’t have to break the bank

Vegan-friendly beauty products don’t have to break the bank

3645
2
Photo by: Karina Rivera | Staff Photographer

Maintaining a vegan lifestyle can be pretty difficult to manage, especially in this carnivorous world. However, it’s not impossible to find everything you need to continue your normal routine.

Vegans aren’t only concerned about their food; any animal product is unacceptable. Luckily, there are vegan-friendly beauty products available, from shampoo to foundation.

Madison Holt, psychology freshman, said it can be a challenge to pay attention to the labels of every makeup or hair product she buys to stay cruelty-free.

“Having to double-check what is going in or on your body can be pretty time-consuming and difficult at times,” Holt said. “I find that doing a lot of research before going shopping can help and prevent me from getting something that is not vegan.”

Through doing research online, Holt was able to find many beauty products that meet the requirements of a vegan lifestyle.

“My favorite vegan-friendly makeup brand is e.l.f. Cosmetics,” Holt said. “The best thing about it is that they have great quality products for super cheap prices.”

E.l.f. Cosmetics is known for being a cruelty-free brand, which means none of their products are tested on animals and all contain vegan-friendly ingredients. The makeup company is also well-known for bring inexpensive, selling cosmetics at $1, $3 and $6 collections.

People think the lifestyle comes with expensive brands and products, but as proven by e.l.f. Cosmetics, being vegan does not have to break the bank.

Erica Johnson, art sophomore, was concerned about becoming vegan and thought she would not be able to afford natural and organic products.

“When I became vegan, I first thought that I was going to be spending a lot of money I didn’t have buying cruelty-free products, but that was not the case,” Johnson said.

Johnson said she likes to shop e.l.f Cosmetics for makeup, but when it comes to hair and body products, she was able to find another affordable brand.

“For things like lotion and shampoo, I like to buy from the brand Yes To,” Johnson said. “However, you do have to watch out and read the ingredients, because some of their products are not fully vegan.”

Yes To is a drugstore brand that can be found in Target and Walmart. The company sells all-natural beauty products, containing various items such as makeup wipes and shampoo.

The brand has seven collections, and Johnson said she has tried at least one product from each.

“My favorite is their Yes To Carrots collection,” Johnson said. “All of the items from the collection have a nice smell and they are very effective.”

As the vegan lifestyle becomes more popular, many beauty companies are coming out with new cruelty-free products. Finding vegan-friendly products is becoming more common where people least expect them.

The San Marcos Farmer’s Market, which happens every Saturday, is seeing more vendors selling organic and natural products.

Hannah Ferris, San Marcos resident, was surprised to find vegan products at the market.

“I am a vegan activist, so I try and look for beauty products that I can recommend to other people,” Ferris said. “I am used to seeing Austin markets filled with vegan-friendly products, but it was a nice treat to find that small towns like San Marcos are joining the cause.”

2 COMMENTS

1. This is a great list! There are also some great vegan and cruelty-free beauty brands online! Athar’a Pure is certified vegan and cruelty free and their products are handcrafted here in the U.S. They have amazing products that are all natural and organic and great for sensitive skin!

I also love Elf for cosmetics! Thanks for sharing!