Home SXSW Say what you want about Anthony Bourdain but he doesn’t care

Say what you want about Anthony Bourdain but he doesn’t care

1873
0
Photo by: Kelsey Bradshaw | Editor-in-Chief

Anthony Bourdain really doesn’t give a shit what you think about him.

The 59-year-old author and TV personality spoke to a full room at South by Southwest Interactive Festival last Monday about his show “Parts Unknown.” Bourdain is known for his other shows, “The Layover” and “No Reservations.”

Bourdain said he tries to do things differently on “Parts Unknown”.

“I don’t know when the show morphed into whatever the hell it is now,” he said about the show where he travels, eats and drinks with people across the world.

On “Parts Unknown,” there are no retakes or shots showing Bourdain walking into a restaurant or someone’s home. Bourdain said those shots are not sincere and producers try to make the artificial process of taping a show, not so artificial.

“Making good television is a freakishly rare thing,” he said.

If Bourdain was to do a show only on what the fans liked, it would be about barbecue.

“Making TV should be fun,” Bourdain said. “Everyone should be having a good day at work when they come to do the show.”

When Bourdain, former heroin addict, went into making television, he didn’t have to worry about what people thought of him because everyone already knew about his past.

“I’m an open book,” he said. “I’ve never had a reputation to lose. Everyone knows the nasty shit about you already.”

Traveling all over the world has given the foodie a different view on life.

“I think it’s wrong to come away certain of things,” Bourdain said about traveling to places like Iran. “I think certainty is bad. I want you to feel about the place that I felt when I was there—good or bad.”