Home Lifestyle Bobcats need more cat naps

Bobcats need more cat naps

2643
0
Photo by: Karina Rivera | Staff Photographer
Emily Soto, undeclared freshmen, rests her eyes Feb. 25 in the Quad.

Sleep is something needed in order to function normally in life, but with homework to complete and tests to study for, college students are finding it difficult to prioritize.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the recommended amount of sleep adults should receive each night is seven to eight hours.

Jade Rocha, recreational administration junior, says she usually sleeps eight to nine hours each night during the weekends and around seven hours each weeknight.

“During the week I at least try to get 7 (hours of sleep), but if I have a test the next day I usually just sleep 4-to-5 hours, especially if I’m feeling uneasy about the test,” Rocha said.

Rocha said it is more difficult for her to be productive in class when she doesn’t sleep as much.

“I usually don’t care about the things I’m doing that day,” Rocha said. “I’m anticipating going home the entire day. I just want to sleep.”

Yesenia Rios, international relations senior, said she can relate and gets around five hours of sleep each night. She also finds it difficult to function normally at school after a night lacking sleep.

“If I don’t sleep a lot, the next day I fall asleep everywhere,” Rios said.

Both students say the way they try to catch up on sleep is by taking naps several times a week.

“I take a nap right after school,” said Rios, “They’re usually around 30 minutes long.”

While Rios and Rocha keep sleep high on their priority lists, one student would rather sleep less and study more.

Trey Gonzales, fashion merchandising sophomore, says sleep is very low on his priority list.

“I know the suggested amount is eight hours, but I’m pretty sure I never do that,” Gonzales said.

Despite not getting the suggested amount of sleep, Gonzales says he isn’t negatively affected during the day at school. In fact, he says he experiences the exact opposite.

“If I don’t sleep for a long period of time I feel more awake,” he said. “I can enhance (being productive) with Redbull or coffee.”

For most students, prioritizing sleep can be challenging and some can relate, drifting off during class and counting down the hours until naptime.

Sleep is necessary for anyone trying to function normally in society, but for students it can be even more detrimental to miss out on rest. Not sleeping typically causes drowsiness the next day and the inability to focus on the tasks at hand.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, anyone who finds their sleeping habits interfere with daily life should seek evaluation and treatment from a health professional.