Home Lifestyle Kennedy Davenport ‘brings down the house’ at Stonewall

Kennedy Davenport ‘brings down the house’ at Stonewall

2479
0
Photo by: Joshua Castellano-Davila | Staff Photographer
Kennedy Davenport performing, Feb. 15, in StoneWall Warehouse.

Kennedy Davenport, a season seven finalist of RuPaul’s Drag Race, electrified the stage at Stonewall Warehouse’s Friday night drag show.

Davenport strutted the stage with her high-energy performance, as she dazzled the audience with twirls, leaps, kicks and splits while maintaining her composure.

The more the stunning Davenport’s moves on the stage, the louder the audience cheers, and with good reason. To say Davenport is a performer is an understatement. She is a star, and her glow ignites the room.

“It takes me an hour and a half to get ready,” she said. “I have been doing this for so long that it is second nature.”

Davenport said she has been performing for over 19 years and was introduced to drag by her best friend in college.

“I was already performing and entertaining; I went to the school of the arts,” she said. “So my best friend just told me I would look beautiful as a woman, and the rest is history.”

Davenport said she loves performing because of the people she gets to meet while on tour.

“You perform all over the world, and you get to meet different kinds of people.” Davenport said.

She enjoyed her experience on Drag Race and learned a lot from working hard.

“It was very hard and challenging,” she said. “It just pushed you beyond your comfort zone, so it was awesome.”

Davenport said her least favorite part of the show was the Shakespeare challenge in episode three, but has several favorites from her time on RuPaul’s Drag Race.

“The parody, the John Waters challenge,” she said. “There was a lot of them that I really liked.”

Jasmine Struan, event attendee, said she came to the show to enjoy Davenport’s work and fulfill a dream to see her live.

“I have loved her ever since I first saw her on Drag Race and have been a fan of hers ever since. She is just so fierce,” Struan said.

Struan said Davenport’s performance was the highlight of her night, and one of the best shows she had seen in a while.

“The way she was moving on stage makes me wish I could be as flexible and as dynamic as her,” Struan said. “She is just fantastic and so full of spunk; I just love it. I just love her really.”

Ken Smith, event attendee, said this was his first time attending a drag show.

“I never saw myself as the type of person who would go to these kinds of shows,” Smith said. “But it was super fun. I enjoyed it, had a few good laughs, and I hope I get to go to more in the future.”

He said he came along with some friends who were fans of Davenport and RuPaul’s Drag Race.

“I have never watched the show and I did not honestly know what to expect,” he said. “But I thought Kennedy Davenport was fantastic. She brought the house down tonight.”

Davenport would be glad to know she made a new fan Friday night.

“I really want them to take something home with them,” Davenport said of her audience. “A peace of mind, a sense of fulfillment and completion, everybody comes out to the club for different reasons. I just want them to have a good time.”