Home Lifestyle Local organization to host Breast Cancer Awareness 5K

Local organization to host Breast Cancer Awareness 5K

5206
0
Photo by: Lara Dietrich | Staff Photographer
The Pink Heals Hays County 5K and kids 1K will take place at the River Ridge Business Park on Oct. 18.

Pink Heals Hays County will host their seventh annual 5K and Kids 1K Oct. 18 at River Ridge Business Park.

Kathleen Chomel, Pink Heals Hays County director, said 100 percent of the profit the organization raises from the race goes toward supporting Hays County women and their families in the fight against breast cancer.

“A lot of activities and fundraisers that people donate to are corporate charities,” Chomel said. “Usually only a couple of your dollars you donated come back to your community.”

Chomel said the organization has raised more than $107,000 since 2012.

She said the money goes into an Emergency Cancer Fund established through Central Texas Medical Center to assist local families with treatment.

“Every event that we go to, all the money gets donated to the Emergency Cancer Fund,” Chomel said.

Families in need of assistance can fill out an application to receive funds, and a check is usually written within 24 hours, she said.

Chomel said the local chapter has been hosting the event since 2008 when it was established. She said the race hosts around 200 to 400 racers each year.

“We have lots of races in San Marcos this time of year, so it just fluctuates depending on who has races when,” Chomel said.

The director said the San Marcos Police Department and Fire Department are two of the organization’s top sponsors.

She said SMPD will provide a pink police car for the event, and the fire department will provide a pink vehicle for the race’s firetruck pull.

“There will be a huge pink firetruck, and a pink police car,” Chomel said. “The second annual firetruck pull will be happening where teams of five will compete daily to pull the pink firetruck.”

Chomel said racers should wear pink and prepare to have a good time for a good cause.

“It’s all about supporting your friends and your family, your neighbors and sharing hearts and love,” Chomel said. “It is just a good morning for fun.”

Rebecca Barnes, nursing freshman, said she is participating to support her best friend’s mom, who was diagnosed with breast cancer when Barnes was in high school.

“At first it was hard to deal with, as I felt she was my mom too, but I have been doing my best to raise awareness for the cause,” Barnes said.

Barnes said she was looking for opportunities in San Marcos to support breast cancer awareness, and was thrilled to discover Pink Heals Hays County.

“When I discovered Pink Heals and learned they had a Hays County chapter, I knew I wanted to support them, “ Barnes said. “Their philosophy spoke to me and I love that they donate 100 percent of their donations to local women.”

Danielle Davis, exploratory freshman, said she participates in the race to support every cancer survivor in her life.

“I have been racing in support of the many amazing women in my life who are in their time of need,” Davis said. “I just want to do all that I can to bring support and awareness to what I believe is a great cause against an awful disease.”

Davis said she hopes Texas State students will support the organization.

“Breast cancer affects way too many people to just be a bystander,” Barnes said. “I really hope more of my friends will participate in events in the future. There is always room for more support.”