Home News Hays County Q&A with Frank T. Arredondo. Place 5 city council candidate

Q&A with Frank T. Arredondo. Place 5 city council candidate

4531
0
Photo by: Preslie Cox | Multimedia EditorFrank Arredondo, who is running for City Council Place 5, poses Aug. 27 at his campaign kickoff.
    Photo by:
                                                                                                                       Preslie Cox | Multimedia Editor                                                  
Frank Arredondo, who is running for City Council Place 5, poses Aug. 27 at his campaign kickoff.

San Marcos City Council elections are quickly approaching. The University Star sat down with Place 5 candidate Frank T. Arredondo to discuss his campaign.

Born: November 28, 1946, San Marcos, Texas

Occupation: Retired

Education: B.B.A. Southwest Texas University, attended Executive School of Management at San Diego University

Alexa Tavarez: Where do you call home and why?

Frank T. Arredondo: Here in San Marcos. I was born here. I love the community. I’ve given a lot of community service to it.

AT: Why did you decide to run for public office?

FA: I decided to run because there is a need for more representation on the council of the Hispanic community. Demographically, we should have three (Hispanic members) on the council that bring a different perspective and bring voice to those who I guess could be considered disenfranchised. I want San Marcos to continue its economic growth. I want level-wage jobs for our citizens, especially our students that graduate from either high school or college. They should have the choice to stay in San Marcos.

AT: What challenges are you expecting to face in your campaign?

FA: Bringing out the voters. This is an off year—there is no governor or president running and the turnout is usually low. Voters normally stay home because there is not much rhetoric going to get them excited.

AT: What issue is at the heart of your campaign?

FA: Giving a voice to the disenfranchised. On the same level is (the issue of) trying to bring level-wage jobs to San Marcos because that, in turn, will allow those persons to get an affordable home, qualify for mortgages and increase the tax base.

AT: What are your thoughts on the amount of development San Marcos has seen in the past years?

FA: It has been a little erratic. It’s been more than usual. I’d like to see our established neighborhoods being respected, but at the same time not strangle business development.

AT: In regard to the never-ending drought, what role should the city play in water consumption?

FT: They should play an important role. We are fortunate to have a river and (access) to an aquifer and we need to insure that we harbor what we have and not waste it. I do believe the city should play a role in regulating the amount of water businesses and residential neighborhoods use. I think the city has done an excellent job in looking towards the future in trying to purchase water and creating a partnership with the pipeline that is coming in for us to use. When Lake Dunlap out by Canyon Lake was acquired, there was a lot of complaining that (the city) was spending money extravagantly. And it’s been a blessing because we were one of the fortunate communities in Texas that has access to water, and with the growth we’re having we need to continue to set aside access to water. Three years running as the fastest-growing city in the nation, we got to be proactive.

AT: As a councilmember, who are you most looking forward to working with?

FT: It’s easy to say the community as a whole, but I have to work with my colleagues and several neighborhood groups and the business community. They are all equal partners in this.

Follow Alexa Tavarez on Twitter at @lexicanaa.