Home Life and Arts Q&A with The Digital Wild at Float Fest

Q&A with The Digital Wild at Float Fest

7192
0
Photo Courtesy of John James Pepper
Chantell Moody, singer for The Digital Wild, poses on stage as she performs Aug. 29 at Float Fest 2015.

The Digital Wild brought a cool mix of indie rock and trip hop to their performance during the second day of Float Fest.

Chantell Moody, singer; Chelsea Seth Woodward, singer and guitar player, Casey Myers, auxiliary percussion, Michael Wisdom, drummer, and James Blair, synth keyboard and guitar player, sat down with The University Star to discuss their performance.

Simank: How do you guys think the show was overall?

Woodward: Today I think it was really good. When it’s so hot out like it was today I find that it slows everything down a little bit and kind of makes it dreamy. At least to me it feels like you are kind of soaking in it a bit.

Myers: You just gotta push through shows like that whether its 100 degrees or 20 degrees or whatever.

Woodward: It is a different energy for sure.  I try not to fight it now and instead just decided to ride the wave.

Simank: How does this festival compare to other shows you have played?

Blair: We love the crew and the stage setup and everything was really professional and we had a blast.

Moody: You know this is definitely the hottest show I think we have ever played as a band.

Woodward: We played the X Games a few months ago and it was a lot of fun but it was pretty hot as well.

Moody: The big difference is here we get to go jump in the water now that we are done playing.

Myers: We are getting used to playing outdoors as we play more festivals but the sound kind of gets lost when you are playing outdoors. You don’t have the same acoustics as if you were playing at a nightclub or something like that, so you kind of play the set and then gauge how good it sounds off of the audience and peoples reactions.

Woodward: We are very happy with where we are success wise, but you know we are still working our way up and so we might play earlier when not as many people are there but we learn valuable lessons when it comes to audio onstage and reading the crowd.

Moody: You just gotta believe it and do your thing and always keep going.

Simank: Have you ever played in San Marcos before?

Moody: No.

Myers: This is our first time.

Woodward: In an old band I played in some little bar here but this is the first legit performance.

Simank: How does performing here feel to you?

Moody: Everybody that we have met has seemed really supportive. A lot of people have been coming up and talking to us which is really nice. I haven’t gotten to see a whole lot of San Marcos because we just drove up here but people have been really great. We really appreciate that because coming from Austin to here and we don’t know if we are gong to know anybody. So the southern hospitality was really great.

Woodward: I love the college crowds. Its fun playing to a younger crowd and they seemed to really dig our style.

Simank: What image do you think your music conveys?

Blair: Like a bat with three heads that is on fire.

Myers: Carrying a snake in its talons.

Moody: Going through an electric forest.

Woodward: That is exactly what I was thinking to. I think we have always prided ourselves on doing whatever genre feels right. Working for the song and not changing sounds to work for a genre we want to be a part of, and instead just letting songs develop into whatever they do. We all come from very different backgrounds.

Wisdom: It kind of has to happen that way or it just doesn’t work.

Moody: Yeah we have people who have played in mostly acoustic style bands, indie rock, and also hip-hop so when we come together its like a few genres colliding.

Simank: I feel like that has the potential to be really great as far as the kind of music you guys end up creating. Is that the case?

Woodward: Definitely. It’s a really good feeling when you have people of all ages that seem to really dig it. I am not saying that everyone loves us but the cool thing is we don’t seem to strike that cord where we are one of those bands that is tremendously loved and hated. The cool thing about ours is that I only really see the love. I am sure there are people who it doesn’t vibe with, but it doesn’t ever seem like we rub anybody the wrong way too much.

Simank: How did you guys come up with the band name?

Moody: Its like the blend of organic sounds that are kind of crashing with electronic sounds as well. I feel like that’s kind of an area that a lot of us are at in our lives today with eating organic food and caring about the earth, but then we still have all this technology and we are trying to figure out how we can lie in harmony with both of them. So I think the name just really fit with where we are in our lives as far as the struggles we are facing.

Woodward: I think its undeniable and unavoidable that one of the biggest things in all of our lives is the idea of approaching singularity.

Moody: Like how do you keep your wild in this digital world where everything is so cut, copy and paste.