Home Latest Recreation center offers free class event

Recreation center offers free class event

3545
0
Photo by: Lara Dietrich | Staff Photographer
Oscar Robles, senior exercise and sports science major, works out Aug. 28 at the Rec Center.

Students looking to get fit and learn more about exercising resources on campus can head to the Student Recreation Center on Sept. 2 for the largest free fitness camp of the semester.

Jenevieve Struk, Campus Recreation fitness coordinator, said Texas State hosts the Fall Fitness Frenzy event every year to spread awareness about what services they offer. She said the event usually sees about 150-200 students each year. This year, the event will start at 5:30 p.m. and ends at 6:45 p.m. and will be on court two of the rec center.

Struk said the class will feature a variety of workout options.

“We are going to be doing a little bit of a boot camp warm up, some floor aerobic-style kickboxing, total dance fitness, Zumba and then some yoga to end with,” Struk said. “We give a little taste test of what group fitness has to offer and how awesome it is.”

Kristen Sacky, group exercise instructor, said the class is a great way to meet new people while also staying fit.

“It’s a lot of fun for students to come to these group exercise classes that we offer because they get to just come and have fun and sweat and release all the stress from the day,” Sacky said. “It is a great way to meet people who you can have common interests with, whether it’s doing indoor physical activity or outdoor physical activity.”

Cassidy Worsham, English senior, said making the event free gives students a chance to see which group classes work best for them.

“I think even for me, if it’s free, I am more than likely to do it,” Worsham said. “When it’s free, it gives you a chance to go and explore what the rec has to offer and then beyond that.”

Worsham said students should make it a priority to stay active.

“I think it is important to stay fit because all of the food on campus is really greasy and really bad for you, and I don’t think students really realize what you eat is going to affect you in the long run when you’re done with school,” Worsham said. “I think it’s important to start learning good habits while you are entering adulthood.”

Struk said scheduling a time to work out each day is also a proven way to reduce stress.

“When you come to college, you get stressed with school work and all (of a) sudden you have to schedule things on your own,” Struk said. “Exercise not only relieves stress but it makes you feel good, all those endorphins and everything.”

Worsham said the center is where she turns to relieve stress and momentarily forget about the problems of the school year.

“I get all my stress out when I walk on the treadmill,” Worsham said. “I just go in there, I put on a good speed and there’s even a TV on it. It helps me de-stress.”

Worsham said she never has trouble getting to know people during her workouts.

“I don’t like working out by myself, and when you go to the rec you meet people who are interested in it and like to work out with you,” Worsham said.

Struk said she hopes students of any classification who are curious about the recreation center’s programs will attend the event.

“Come join us because it really is a lot of fun to come because you make friends in the classes, and you get to meet all kinds of new people,” Sacky said. “It’s try-before-you-buy, so people can see what it’s all about.”

Follow Lauren Friesenhahn on Twitter at @littlelo1122.