Home Sports Cross Country Two Bobcats named to All-American teams at NCAA Outdoor Championships

Two Bobcats named to All-American teams at NCAA Outdoor Championships

3435
0

The Texas State track and field team wrapped up the outdoor season this past weekend after a few members competed at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

The men’s 4×400 relay team of James Hilliard (junior sprinter), Anthony Johnson (junior sprinter), De’Marcus Porter (freshman sprinter), and De’Quad Binder (junior sprinter) were the first to compete at the NCAA Outdoor Championships. The relay team finished the event in 17th place with a time of 3:08.48.

“I think it was a learning experience for them,” said Coach Dana Boone. “They ran one of their faster times of the season. They learned what it takes to run at the next level, so I think what they take away is a hunger to come back and to do better next year.

Anicka Newell, senior pole vaulter, ended the season tied for 15th place in the women’s pole vault at the NCAA Outdoor Championships after recording a height of 4.05 meters. The placing made her a second team All-American.

“I think she had a solid performance,” Boone said. “She was probably disappointed and wanted to finish higher. I’m sure she could’ve gone a couple more bars. But sometimes that happens at your first competition at the national meet but she had a great season.”

Allie Saunders, senior jumper, participated in the women’s triple jump and long jump at the NCAA Outdoor Championships.

Saunders finished as a second team All-American and 10th place in the women’s long jump with her distance of 6.32 meters. She was a first team All-American in the triple jump, placing seventh (13.25 meters).

“Her long jump was the second farthest jump of her life and her triple jump was her second farthest jump of her life,” Boone said. “She had some good marks she just couldn’t quite get the timing together on the triple jump but it was second best jump of her life so what can you do.”

The NCAA Outdoor Championships is the final meet for Newell and Saunders at Texas State.

“I hope that they had great experiences,” Boone said. “It’s been fun to watch them grow from freshman into seniors and to be national caliber athletes, to break school records, to be conference champions. It’s been an awesome experience and I’m thankful that we had them on our team.”

Now that the NCAA Outdoor Championships have passed, Boone is optimistic for the future of the Texas State track and field team.

“I hope we continue to move up,” Boone said. “I hope it inspires other people to want to be a part of what we’re doing here. I want to continue to win championships and continue to get kids to the nationals and make finals. That’s the goal.”