Home Sports Women’s basketball ends season with 57-54 loss to Oral Roberts

Women’s basketball ends season with 57-54 loss to Oral Roberts

3996
0

Coach Zenarae Antoine has set the expectation that qualifying for post season play “is what we do.” The standard is set to make post season tournaments and advance deep into those respective tournaments.

With that being said, Antoine called the Texas State women’s basketball teams 57-54 to Oral Roberts “disappointing.”

Texas State led for most of the game, but gave up the lead on a 3-pointer by Atoe’ Jackson, Golden Eagles senior guard, with 2:44 left in the game. Jackson’s go-ahead 3-pointer was her only 3-pointer of the entire game.

This was the first lead for the Golden Eagles since it was 6-5 with 15:10 remaining in the first half. The 3-point basket gave the Golden Eagles a 55-54 lead.

In their final game, the only two seniors on the team were the ones that scored in double-digits for the Bobcats. Meghan Braeuer, senior guard, led the team with 15 points and four steals, while Jaqueline Jeffcoat, senior forward, scored 11 points on five shot attempts. Jeffcoat converted three 3-pointers, which set a career high.

Antoine spoke highly of her seniors and how they finished their senior seasons with the upmost effort.

“You know, I think they wanted it,” Antoine said. “I really do believe they wanted it and you saw that out there. Jaqueline came in and had one of her best three-point shooting games. I think she (Jeffcoat) did a tremendous job and I want her to feel that she can hang her hat on ‘at least she did her best when she was given the opportunity’.”

Antoine then praised her other senior, Braeuer, who played 39 of 40 possible minutes in her final collegiate game.

“What I enjoyed most about coaching Meghan is she has that spirit of ‘go to,’” Antoine said. “She can get down, but she always gets right back up. I think that is what I appreciate most about Meghan.”

Antoine used her bench sparingly in this game. All five starters for the Bobcats exceeded 30 minutes. Antoine used three reserves, each of which did not play for more than 10 minutes.

Texas State started out the first half shooting 60 percent from 3-point range, but cooled off by shooting 11.1 percent in the second half.

With the loss, the Bobcats season is over. The team finished this season with a 17-15 record, an improvement from last year’s 16-16 record.

However, for those still on the team, the post season experience can only help the Bobcat underclassmen.

“It’s (post season experience) tremendous,” Antoine said. “It’s not just the opportunity to play, but to understand that these teams set the standard that this is what we do. When I first got here, we were never had the opportunity to just get to the conference tournament. This year, I think clearly championship was always on our mind. The tone has been set. This is what we do.”